Quinta do Lago (South) - Algarve - Portugal

Portugal

• John Dwyer

• William Mitchell

• Nuno Goncalves

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Quinta do Lago (South)

Quinta do Lago is the dream which entrepreneur Andre Jordan realised in the early 1970s. This 2,000-acre luxury residential development was perhaps a bit ahead of its time, but now the “Manor estate by the lake” (to which Quinta do Lago roughly translates) is well and truly established.

Located fifteen minutes northwest of Faro airport, American architect William Mitchell raised the bar in terms of golf course architecture here at Quinta do Lago by importing American standard greens, tees and bunkers. The original and best course is now called the South and it opened for play in 1974.

The Quinta do Lago South course is certainly the most famous in the area and it has played host to the Portuguese Open on no fewer than seven occasions with Mark McNulty and Colin Montgomerie being former title holders. Given its championship pedigree, this is also a course which will be enjoyed by the average handicap golfer. The fairways are relatively generous and the predominantly sandy but undulating ground flatters medium hitters.

With umbrella pine-lined fairways, bold bunkering and a splash of water features, the South course at Quinta do Lago is certainly an eye-catching layout and one which will appeal to discerning golfers.

Reviews for Quinta do Lago (South)

Description: American architect William Mitchell raised the bar in terms of golf course architecture here at Quinta do Lago by importing American standard greens, tees and bunkers. Rating: 4.7333333333333 out of 6 Reviews: 10

A little more variety than the North, the round takes a little time to get going but a very strong closing to the course.

Pace of play wasn't bad considering the volume on the course, definitely superior to many Algarve courses.

Just below San Lorenzo, but the best 36 hole destination in the Algarve for strong golf on a beautiful course in good condition and excellent greens..

May 31, 2018

Played this one the following day to having played the North Course and the first impression is that the course is a little bit more challenging, specially from the tee boxes where you need to move the ball in both directions. Greens are a little bit easier than North with no grain in both directions and slopes smoother, but all the same you can face Quinta do Lago (South) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer some extremely fast putts in some holes.

In this 18 holes I found some holes really spectacular and that will last longer in my memory:

- Par 4 1st is a nice opener where you can bomb it close to the green downhill.

- Tee shot on par 5 2nd demands very good direction if you wish to go for it.

- 3rd is a great par 4 where lake on the left can be a problem for longer hitters.

- 6th is a nice uphill dogleg left short par 4, second shot Quinta do Lago (South) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer is one of the nice ones to hit.

- 8th is a weak hole because from the tee box it is not that clear where to aim, but the best option is short and a mid iron as second shot.

- 10th if not the one I liked most, it will be close. It plays similar to 10th at Shinnecock (yes, but with trees on both sides!) where you can bomb it down the slope and have a nice uphill wedge.

- 13th is another good short one, dirvable for everybody able to hit 260yds.

Then the stretch 14-18 gives you a very nice end of the round, with 15-16 being the best ones and most scenic in the 36 holes with some views of the Ocean.

I am 4 rounds short on the Tour and so far this is very good!

May 15, 2018

Played during very rainy period and the course was in best condition of any course we played this trip. Greens were slick, but fair (mostly). Was lined by houses, but the course seemed to provide more room than other courses in the area if you strayed a bit off line. Felt I had to hit a extra club(s) all day whether into or with the wind. Absolutely want to play here again.

March 16, 2018

Very enjoyable course with some great holes and of course some great properties to marvel at on the way round. Best buggies i have ever had. Place was absolutely rammed but to be fair afte the first tee it opened up and flowed very well. Highly recommended

October 22, 2016

Having just come back from a weeks holiday in the Algarve, I have to say this was by far the best course that we played.The course was in top condition in every aspect and the setting will just take your breath away with some of the most stunning golf holes I have ever had the chance to play.
September 28, 2015

It was a tough call as to whether here or San Lorenzo was best but for me and the two people I was with this just pips it. As a rule I would say that San Lorenzo has more standout holes, but Quinta South has a great feel and all the holes run so well together. 17 was my favourite hole, even though I decided to bounce of a tree. The course asks for not only accuracy but you have to be in the right place, in fact having hit good drives on the first 3 holes I found myself in trouble for not knowing the course. I would recommend playing here and we are thinking of the North and Laranjal in the next few years.
May 29, 2015

Always has been and always will be one of the special Algarve courses and is a must for any itinerary. From the opening inviting tee shot you are well aware that you are playing in a great place. There are many stand-out holes and the first for me is the par-4 3rd; 390 metres with the fairway moving slightly to the right but with the camber of land moving left, then an approach over water – quality. The 5th is a strong par-5, a couple of twists in the fairway before reaching an elevated green tucked around to the left with two fantastic bunkers protecting. The 8th is very good; 385 metres, dog-legging right but it is so easy to go left and end up playing from the tree roots that separate this hole with the 2nd. The end of the front nine has the hole that in my mind should be the 18th as the green is much nearer to the clubhouse terrace than the current final hole. Reflecting on the front nine brings a smile to my face; twists and turns and some serious change in elevation on many holes, reminiscent of what we all see every April at Augusta National. The back nine is not too shabby either; opening with the 410 metre 10th hole, which is most golfers choice of toughest par-4 on the course. The par-3 11th at around 190 metres will test most but plays a little shorter with more huge changes in height; this hole must drop 40 metres before climbing back up to the green – just get to the green and look back to the tee and you will see what I mean. The 14th tee is a great spot; one of the highest points on the course and the 383 metre SI-2 hole all in front of you – this is a very pretty part of the course, especially at the approach to the green; glance right and you see the lake that becomes the focal point for the very next hole. The 15th is the pick of the short holes; 200 metres over water with hardly any ground between the water and the green – one of the very hardest par-3’s around – that is now five times I have not made a par on the hole! Very happy to keep trying though. As mentioned earlier the 18th hole in my opinion would be better off as the 9th – I have no idea if there are any plans to swap the nines but I would like to kick-off the debate – The 18th is a very tough par-4 at 413 metres but is without a doubt the flattest hole on the course which is just a bit out of character. In direct comparison with the other two courses at the resort, the South remains my own No. 1 and that is after the major renovations on the North – Laranjal whilst very technical and on the whole very good just does not have the warmth of the beautiful South. The current rankings of #4 in the Algarve, #10 in country and #88 in Continental Europe are about right, with a little scope to improve I think.
March 18, 2015

Although Quinta do Lago South may well be regarded as one of the grand old ladies on the Algarve golfing scene the course still comfortably holds its own with the big budget modern designs in the area. There appears to be huge investment going into the complex at present with the redevelopment of the North course and the building of an impressive new fitting centre/academy, all following the construction of the Laranjal course 5 years ago. Seven years after my first visit I returned to find the course in great nick, the greens being the best we putted on during the week. There is no shortage of character and the generous width of most fairways means that the South is a good driving course. The layout is enjoyable for players of all standards but you will need Quinta do Lago (South) Golf Course - Photo by revieweraccuracy and finesse to score well here as most greens are well protected, some being quite tricky to hit due to their elevated position. Both nines have memorable holes and you certainly won’t find anything that could be described as weak. As for my personal favourites, the 1st is a cracker to get you on your way. An inviting downhill tee shot attractively lined by stands of pine trees that will block your approach if you go too far right. The 3rd needs a solid iron shot to avoid the pond which sits below the front left half of the green. The 5th is a pretty par5 where trees and well placed bunkers will cause problems for many around the green and the 7th is a good looking downhill par3. The front nine finishes with a couple of solid doglegs, one right, one left and both to elevated greens. The 10th provides a stiff test to begin the back nine. At 450 yards from the white tees and with a small valley to clear, you will need two good shots to reach the plateau green in two. Both short holes are very good on the back, the 11th being a pretty downhiller and 15 could possibly be one of the most photographed holes on the Algarve. At around 200 yards and over a lake you will need a smooth swing if you are to get your par here. Of the other holes I would pick the 420 yard 14th which delivers another enticing downhill tee shot but remember to club up on your second shot as there are bunkers and a pond waiting to catch anything short and the 16th, a pretty par4 which doglegs to a slightly sunken green with a glorious lakeside backdrop. My only slight criticism would be of the 18th, certainly not a bad hole but the green setting is rather bland and lacking that bit of drama we all prefer at the finish. I certainly look forward to playing the South again. Brian W
May 09, 2014

Played QDLS recently as they lay on a courtesy bus from Vilamoura,our small group enjoyed this layout and condition but after spending 20 minutes on a slow practice putting green we were met with slick surfaces that resulted in a few putts being degreened.Apart from the 15th which is their signature hole the other par 3s are underwhelming,beware of an unfair 12th par 5 fairway that all rolls to the divot city.16th green has a fine view of the lagoon as well as the spectacular houses on the course.Bottom line is we will be back!
March 30, 2014

The whole experience at Quinta do Lago takes excellence and redefines it. I had played the North course a few days prior to this and thought that it was the last word in fine golf. I was wrong. I encountered a fabulous experience from start to finish. At 94 Euro for the round (including buggy) I was expecting excellence and I was not disappointed. Unlike reviewers previous, we were made aware of the two tee starts - 10th for visitors, 1st for members, when in the pro shop. We started circa 8:30am from the 10th. The starter was very engaging and warming and gave us some hints and tips about the pin placements on the day. Every fairway was absolutely trimmed to perfection. The grass in the rough was lush - so very difficult to get out of, as I found to my cost for the first few holes! Exactly as punitive as it ought it be. The greens didn't disappoint either - Sprinklers in operation that were turned off when you were upon approach. If anything, the greens were a little slow, compared to the ice rink North I had played a few days earlier, but they weren't so slow as to cause significant impact to my round! By the time we reached the 1st again, most morning member 4 balls had played already. We waited for just 15 minutes - Enough time for us to restock our water supply from the clubhouse. Upon finishing the round, we had food and drinks at the clubhouse were the service level continued to inspire. It isn't a cheap experience - and as someone with a modest income I wouldn't be quick to throw 94 Euro at a round of golf, but it was money well spent. I still refer to my couple of rounds in Quinta Do Lago as my favourite rounds of golf. Thoroughly recommended.
September 24, 2013