Mid Pines - North Carolina - USA

North Carolina (NC) 28387,

• Don Farr

• Donald Ross

• Chip King

Situated five miles east of Pinehurst, the Mid Pines and Pine Needles golf courses are part of the same resort, separated by Midland Road, which divides the two 18-hole layouts. Both layouts are Donald Ross tracks that were constructed for the owning Tufts family, with the Mid Pines course opening in 1921, seven years before its sibling appeared.

Feature holes include the uphill 330-yard 4th, played to a green that drops away sharply on its right side, the 380-yard left doglegged 12th, the 391-yard right doglegged 17th and the 411-yard closing hole, where the home green is beautifully back dropped by the elegant Inn at Mid Pines hotel.

There’s plenty of authentic Ross here, thanks largely to a sympathetic restoration carried out in 2013 by Kyle Franz (former shaper for Tom Doak, Gil Hanse and Kyle Phillips) which received plenty of critical acclaim, such as: “there’s no doubt Franz delivered. Mid Pines was always a good course, but it now positively crackles with new life.”

Reviews for Mid Pines

Description: Laid out on an undulating property close to Pinehurst, the resort course at Mid Pines Inn & Golf Club is an understated Donald Ross design that first opened for play in 1921. Rating: 4.75 out of 6 Reviews: 4

Fantastic course in beautiful condition. The owners own this course and Pine Needles across the street and both the courses are run in a first class manner. I love the look and feel of this course. In contrast to modern designs, which seek to intimidate the golfer while actually allowing for quite a bit of room for most shots, designer Donald Ross accomplished the opposite here. Mid Pines Relatively benign and open appearing holes actually require very precise placement to play the hole properly. The land is gentle and rolling, and this course can be walked comfortably. The rough has been transformed to sand and scruff like Pinehurst #2 and I love both the aesthetics and playability of the rough areas. This is a great course, and although I like Pine Needles a little better I think Mid Pines is actually the better course. Both courses are amazing.

Read my full story: The Sandhills – high-class designs outside Pinehurst

Richard Smith

Knoxville, Tennessee

June 12, 2018

A few years back I played most of Mid Pines before running into two 8 balls of afternoon beer guzzlers and skipping through to the 18th. This time around the course had underwent a lovely and thoughtful restoration by Kyle Franz. Having just spent an evening with Kyle I was Mid Pines Golf Course - Photo by reviewer curious to see the results. In no way was I disappointed. The restoration work is awesome.

The course is great fun to play and in fact in terms of pure fun I’d have to say it’s perhaps #1 in North Carolina’s Sand Hills.

There is tons of width and the course plays very firm and fast allowing for quite a few options and even realistic use of the ground game despite the warm weather grasses.

If you make it to the area, Mid Pines is a definite must play.

June 05, 2018

Thousands of visiting golfers migrate to the Pinehurst region throughout the year. In Southern Pines, NC, you’ll find the nearby sister courses of Pine Needles and Mid Pines.

Mid Pines Inn and Golf Club

While Pine Needles has a large scale feel to it, I certainly preferred the much more challenging Mid Pines with its outstanding raised greensites and strategic feel to it.

The course continually challenges accuracy off the tee, and tests that there’s truly something going on between your two ears.

I’m actually debating with myself whether I prefer to play Mid Pines over Pinehurst #2 as I just loved it without feeling battered. Sometimes it’s good to challenge the norm and think outside the box.

October 09, 2017

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
Mid Pines was my first stop upon arrival at Pinehurst Resort. An excellent Donald Ross layout that receives less attention than the more famous #2 course. Mid Pines like Pinehurst #2 is characterized by an abundance of natural looking waste areas, tight Bermuda fairways and large undulated greens. While the course is excellent and really fun for some reason I really struggle to Mid Pines Golf Course - Photo by reviewerremember individual holes and the routing as a whole even right after my game there. This is for me one of the main differences between a great course and a really good course. I will also admit that my back 9 was broken up a bit after I ran into an 8-ball that seemed to have brought the keg with them. An unfortunate but not surprising end of day phenomena on a US resort course. I skipped a couple holes after they spent 30 minutes on 15.

I’d say my favorite holes at Mid Pines were the par 3 2nd which was an excellent short par 3 with a beautiful green complex and the closing hole which was a long par 4 with a back to front sloping green set in the hillside in front of the clubhouse. A small hiccup on the back 9 but a great start to a Pinehurst visit.
March 31, 2016